Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Starting up again

The summer meant I wasn't able to concentrate or play during peak times, because I was busy. I ended July at 2.1K after bonuses, and it was easily my worst month to date. -$300 from playing 21K hands of NL50, and that's all it took me to realize that I shouldn't be 18-tabling, I should be working on improving. It didn't help that my schedule was 30-60 minutes sessions of 18 tabling so that I could eek out 21K hands in the smallest amount of time. No groove = no reads = B/E poker.

Of course I made $225 from the ironman mid-year bonus, $200+ from rakeback, and a little more from PLO (ridiculously small sample ldo), so I still finished the month up. I swear with the bonuses and rakeback they hand out, it's pretty damn difficult to lose playing poker.

Of course the -$300 is relative. I was down $400 - $500 in all-in equity over the month; if I had neutral luck, I would have ended the month up $150 instead of down $300, but that's poker. I also suffered more from coolers than I gained, KK vs AA and AA vs KK had me down, set over set and set under set hand me down, and that contributed to another couple hundred in losses.

After July I decided to take August off to enjoy my summer (Good bye consecutive ironman bonus :(). So august has wrapped up, I'm moving into my new apartment soon, and we'll see how September treats me. Hopefully I can run $500 above expectation, and have my first + 1K month! Who knows...

No comments: